Thursday, May 31, 2007

Popping the Cork!

I graduated law school a little over a week ago. This meant Champagne... lots of Champagne. Although the wines that I got to try all cost approximately the same, this experience reminded me that there is notable diversity in the region. (Note: I drank each one twice to avoid any undue influence from the celebratory circumstances)

Laurent-Perrier Brut NV: My top pick. Light, tangy and fruity with good body. I walked out of my last final exam ever and blasted this cork over 50 feet (a personal record). If I could keep a bottle of bubbly in my fridge at all times, this would be it. $37 at Bev Mo.

Perrier-Jouet Brut NV: Bigger and yeastier than its cousin. Great bubbles and body, but not as bright and refreshing as I would like. I popped this bottle right after graduation and it will always have a special place in my heart/gut (depends on what you think of law school). $35 at Safeway.

Veuve Clicquot Brut NV: The bright yellow/orange label is to Champagne what the turquoise box is to jewelry. Veuve has blown up over the past few years.... and for good reason. The fruitiest of the bunch with great acidity. My only slight is that it showed less body than the other two. Proof that strategic advertising can do great things. Anchors away. $38 at Zains Liquor.

No comments: